Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Basic assessment.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValBee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Basic assessment. Reply with quote

The BBKA run a basic assessment, which seems like a good thing to take as its general basic knowledge, the only thing i notice is that they want to test your skills on a national hive there seems to be no option for getting tested on your TBH skills. This is a uk exam. What do people think about it, has anyone here taken it?

You need it to start an apiary on a council allotment site, so i thought it would be good to have.
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly don't need it to keep bees on a council allotment site in Cambridge. Need to follow guidelines in BBKA leaflet about bees on allotments. What they do require here is BBKA membership and insurance. I am trying to get council to accept FOB alternative but the wheels of bureaucracy grind slowly.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Ui Reply with quote

I nearly did a basic assessment but the local BBKA wouldn't let me in to their apiary with an unwashed half length bee suit. They insist on full length and washed. My bees have never objected to the length of my bee suite, so that was it for me !

I'm surprised they need a basic assessment for the allotments. Usually they only require some evidence of attending a training course of some kind and insurance documents, which can be BBKA membership or FoB or anything else which looks plausible.
andy pearce
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No on my site...I am the chair!
A
Lacewing
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about requirements on allotments, but with regard to the basic exam - I asked the same thing of the Welsh BKA, hoping that they at any rate would become more openly welcoming to TBH owners. (It had been dismal to read posts on this forum from people who felt unwanted and uncatered for by their local associations in different places.) This was part of the WBKA reply:

"Having spoken with Frank Gellatly, in his capacity as Chair of the Examination & Education Committee, he advises us that the Basic Assessment should be taken on hives with moveable frames, and sees no reason, therefore, why it should not be taken on a top bar hive. It should also be noted that many of the Examination Modules, are testing the knowledge of the student on the honeybee and its environment, not the hive in which it is housed. "

The letter continues

"One of the objectives of the Welsh Beekeepers' Association [WBKA] is to 'Develop co-operation amongst all beekeepers throughout Wales and interchange ideas and experience in all subjects connected with the craft'. In pursuance of this objective, we would like to embrace all beekeepers, and are interested to learn in which ways we could possibly assist the local Associations to better understand the needs of those using top bar hives."

(People who are much more experienced than I am in using TBHs are going to be needed to help with this objective - and altering part of the basic exam I guess - and perhaps there are some Welsh forum users who would like to help!)

Anyway - I don't see why the BBKA also shouldn't be asked for, or wouldn't provide, an exam service for any TBH users who want it?
jumbleoak
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ui Reply with quote

Adam Rose wrote:
They insist on full length and washed.

Probably because they have no way of telling what you've been up to and where you've been.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: