Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
1 follower board & end entrance Q's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos of the woods
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: 1 follower board & end entrance Q's Reply with quote

Hello

I am new to TBH's - I have posted in the Introduce Yourself topic the background story...

But to cut it short we have a newly purchased TBH, which had a swarm added 1 & half weeks ago.

The TBH we bought has the entrances at both ends of the hive, with 1 follower board.. which we originally put 2/3 rd's along from the entrance... with 6 top bars with starter strips the rest without starter strips.

It has an observation window, and the bees are building comb - last check they were onto their 5th one (although that's presuming they started on top bar

As the entrance is at one end, they appear to be building the largest comb nearest the entrance, from what I've read this is fairly normal that they will build brood closest to the entrance and stores the opposite end to the entrance..

Now as only 1 follower came with the TBH, and the entrance is at one end not on the long face as in Phil's & others designs.. my question are...

- would it be a good idea to add in another bar near the entrance, or even move the first bar along and add another one/or more in?

- Could you move them along even more and add in another follower board between the entrance and start of brood. Would you need to make more than 1 hole in the follower board to allow for bee movement to and from the end entrance if so?

- Or best to leave them to it at that end, and just add in bars with starter strips at the stores end?

Thanks for any advice Smile
ValBee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i started a year ago with same type of hive with end entrance. You really don't need more than 1 follower board and you need only 1 entrance, make sure the other is blocked.
just let them be, to build the comb they want and let them fill how they want,
All you need to do is manage space for now, and move that follower weekly as they fill hive. you don't need starter strips, i just have beveled wood. Once you have 1 comb they may build straight comb next to that, but watch out for brace comb. it can get interesting.

you can peek in window see when they need more room. Now just read everything and watch loads of tube vids. Michael Bush/bush farms and outofabluesky vids are all very useful as well as read all you can on this site and also phil book. you can't get too much info.

Once honey starts you need spacers as the comb starts getting a lot wider and may cross 2 bars. if you don't space it better/wider. But that will happen bit later. don't get down if things get complex, or an unexpected issue happens. never be afraid to walk away, take a break, watch a vid read then come back another time.

enjoy
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the same set up on all my hives; 1 follower and only one end entrance 30mm hole (in the top of the end wall).

Some people add empty top bars at each end of the Brood Nest to prevent swarming. Other people (like me) only add extra comb to the back of the stores as bees progress. I always place the empty top bar between two perfectly built honey combs, and I never manipulate the brood nest size (thats up to the bees).

Dont be surprised to see bees taking break from building new combs even though they do have space to do so. They know better than us why they suddenly stop with comb building.

Quote:
As the entrance is at one end, they appear to be building the largest comb nearest the entrance, from what I've read this is fairly normal that they will build brood closest to the entrance and stores the opposite end to the entrance..

So far I have only observed as you described.

Quote:
- Or best to leave them to it at that end, and just add in bars with starter strips at the stores end?

Thats what I do. This way bees aren't manipulated too much into building unnecessary comb and expanding the brood nest too much just cause we added extra empty space. You will see that not all beeks have the same opinion so you will have to find what suits your life style and philosophy.

www.cheguebeeapiary.blogspot.com
Carlos of the woods
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks both..

I have bought copy of Barefoot Beekeeping & Balanced Beekeeping pt1... and am lapping up youtube vids Very Happy

Hence just wanting some reassurance & info on end entrance & 1 follower, as Phil advocates the 2 follower board & side entrances - which does make sense... and when I build myself another hive I will try that setup..

But as the main purpose for us as a household is to give bees a lovely home, and let them do their thing with as little interference as possible I chime with both your answers..
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos as far as I know Phil has moved away from middle entrances and two follower boards to end periscope entrance and one follower board. This way he needs not to rearrange the stores before the winter. It is hard to edit his first book but his second book sure mentions the new design with an Eco floor and end periscope entrance.

Phil can say more about it
Noahsoak
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some people add empty top bars at each end of the Brood Nest to prevent swarming. Other people (like me) only add extra comb to the back of the stores as bees progress. I always place the empty top bar between two perfectly built honey combs, and I never manipulate the brood nest size (thats up to the bees).

when you say you add a bar between 2 combs, are you talking about between brood bars for expansion of the broods nest? Or do you add the extra bar to the "end" of the broods nest?

And for the most simple question, what dictates that? just making sure there are empty cells for the queen to lay in? often last year I would see a the combs covered with bees in the broods nest and think, whoa - I need to add a bar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: