Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
lemon grass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee products, recipes, bee plants and apitherapy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shearno
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: lemon grass Reply with quote

I am building some bait hives over winter, in the hope of attracting a swarm early next spring. How much lemon grass oil do i add and where is it best to place it? I added some to my newly completed TBH to test it and its very strong, hopefully this will die down over winter.

Shearno
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Some people put about 10 drops of lemon grass essential oil on a tissue and seal it in a zip lock bag and then put a few pin holes in the bag and place it in the hive. Do this at Easter time when you put the bait hives up and smear a little on the front near the entrance. I have started putting some on a rag and tying it to a nearby twig so it flaps in the breese and distributes the smell better but it needs to be topped up regularly like that, as it evaporates much quicker.

Best of luck

Barbara
Chardyboy
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shearno,

I'd go with Barbara's advice on this - it worked for me.

I also grow the lemonbalm herb and always give that a rub or brush past it as I think the smell is similar and it all helps.

I'm in Frimley, GU16 - whereabouts in Surrey are you?

Regards

Dave
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both lemon balm and lemongrass to try and attract bees to my hives and they have ignored it and moved into a nuc box designed to take 5 national frames and made their comb from the roof of it.

As my signature used to say before it got lost from the system,
"One day I shall keep some bees that have read the book."
shearno
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara, just the advice I was looking for, I'll do exactly that.

Dave, I say Surrey because that's my postal address, actually Wallington so more South London. I know Frimley lovely countryside plenty of bees!

I live a couple of minutes from this
http://www.mayfieldlavender.com/

So fingers crossed a good place for bee keeping

Regards
Shearno
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the lemongrass essential oil as Barbara and others have advised on this forum in a bait hive after some scout bees investigated my compost bin. Unfortunately no swarm moved in, it was probably after the main swarming season. I shall try again next year and will also place some comb from one of my hives which should make any new bees feel more at home. The wood that I used was new ply and plan to shellac the inside with some propolis mixed in over the winter. the bait hive looks like the mini TBH that Phil shows on an earlier post. Will keep my fingers crossed.
shearno
House Bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a programme on BBC2 called Super Senses: The secret Power of Animals, last Tuesday.
On it they had a synthetic Queen Bee pheromone, where they attracted a swarm of bees in to a clear Perspex box in a matter of minutes, the box was made to look like a briefcase and the presenter was able to close the lid and walk off with a full swarm of Bees. Did anyone else see this and does anyone know what the substance is?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee products, recipes, bee plants and apitherapy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: