Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Idea based on trap out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bright ideas, experiments and projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValBee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Idea based on trap out Reply with quote

I heard about the pest of bees in autumn and mice being an issue. I heard that bees will abscond and abandon a hive if they can smell a mouse. so this sounds like a possible way to avoid a cut out or trap out. If it can be tested via mouse smell/ develop liquid or essence or droppings maybe could be inserted into a hive and maybe the bees will leave. Has anyone tried this idea, any thoughts on this. May be a good way to get bees to abandon a poor nest site quickly without killing them.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My experience with bees and mice is that they find the smell of mouse habitation and urine in particular very alluring. I have had two lots of swarm scout bees fighting over a hive that had died out and was occupied by a mouse, which I had to very quickly evict, prior to a huge prime swarm arriving. The hive stunk of mouse urine but the bees moved in and thrived.

Also, bumble bees very often occupy abandoned mouse nests in the ground, so I'm not sure where you got the info from that the smell of mice might be a repellent to bees.

That's just my experience though.

Regards

Barbara
ValBee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, I got it from the basic assessment notes of pests and robbers. I am interested in others experiences, if this is not true that's good to know.

I had some mice in my garden, but the hives not been bothered yet.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In parts of Africa they bait hives with human urine!

I'll be sticking to lemongrass oil.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bright ideas, experiments and projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: