Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
corrugated polyethylene/polypropylene.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bzd
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: corrugated polyethylene/polypropylene. Reply with quote

Hi,

I am beginning to built a KTBH after my first round veuille hive,with top bars and parts like a warre hive .But I like the KTBH concept.I read interesting article from the USA about a Californian KTBH .The constructor coated the internal and external sides (gypsum board made) with corrugated plastic. As I plan to make the sides with papercrete,surrounded by wood frames and some chicken wire for reinforcing- I had good results with the roof of my previous hive (lightness ,insulation,(very)cheap- Surface of papercrete is fragile and I expect to have some issues when I will use a knife to separate honey comb the bees have glued...The external sides will be lime coated,for better "breathing "of this material. Do you think that a "corroplast coating" could be useful (for the beekeeper...) and SAFE for the BEES ?.I know that polyethylene is not so bad for food .

regards
Claude B.
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polypropylene is the one to use. It's the only plastic that is safe to burn in terms of the gases given off since it contains only carbon and hydrogen atoms. Which is also why, unlike most other plastics, it is safe in terms of it's effects on the wider environment. Though, like most other plastics, it would take a very long time to disappear if left in the ground. It is completely food safe and is used in all of the flip top containers you'll have in your house. It is one of the few plastics that can be weld-joined instead of being glued. You can just use something like a soldering gun to weld it with. Again, with no ill effects from fumes.

I've included a wiki-link to polypropylene and also a materials safety data sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polypropylene

http://www.petrobul-bg.com/files/MSDS%20PP%20eng.pdf
bzd
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: corrugated polyethylene/polypropylene. Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Thanks a lot for quick reply. I will use these coating panels (I can get it for free...) and I hope Icould post pictures soon ,here .-I read that it's not very easy so I need some training...and five messages.

Regards
Claude B.
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Claude. Make very sure it's polypropylene, though. Other plastics are not guaranteed to be safe.
bzd
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: corrugated polyethylene/polypropylene Reply with quote

Thank you Steve,you can be sure that I am aware of chemical issues for the bees! next weekend I'll do my first "experiments/building.I am just concerned about shrinking and bonding of papercrete on the wood frame.:After good drying I think I will fill the gaps with plaster _My first experiments showed that chicken wire correctly stabilizes the shrinking,so after filling I think to put on some screws to secure the pepercrete on the frames... some results soon !
cheers

Claude B.
bzd
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: corrugated polyetylene/polypropylene Reply with quote

Hi,

next weekend I made the wooden frames wich must be filled with papercrete,now.But the more important is that I can post pics on the photos' board of this forum. I will do it next time .I am sorry I haven't surfed too much on this forum. The buckfast bees in the Veuille hive are so pleasant to be seen,they seem in good condition,very active,and this weekend they sucked a lot of peach juice on a peach tree neer their hive especially from fallen fruits.Anyway pics will come soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: