Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Randy Oliver is saying Neonics are safe for bees!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Randy Oliver is saying Neonics are safe for bees! Reply with quote

I know we all have to make a living but talking in favour of pesticide companies ...
Quote:
We're also seeing a sea change in the awareness of the public about pesticides and their effects upon pollinators and wildlife, with the honey bee being used as a poster child. Unfortunately, the overall issue to pesticide impacts has been hijacked by a tunnel vision focus upon the neonics, with scant evidence that they are actually the main problem.

My on-the-ground truthing by visiting beekeepers all over the country finds that most beekeepers in neonic-rich corn/soy/canola landscapes report far fewer pesticide incidents than in the past. My guess is that it is other pesticides, including beekeeper-applied miticides that are more to blame.

Or am I misunderstanding Confused
In his newletter he writes that Neonics are not to blame for bee issues;
http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=379e1357cc0596c1dfbedb027&id=04efb0002f&e=aacf81d8b0
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty standard line from those with a vested interest in neonic companies.
CeeBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Randy Oliver is saying Neonics are safe for bees! Reply with quote

Che Guebuddha wrote:

Or am I misunderstanding Confused...

I don't know, but what he writes seems sensible and unbiased to me. Has he any 'vested interest'? I also feel that neonics are getting the blame for lots of things, without cast-iron proof that they are responsible, perhaps leading to other candidates being ignored, or other noxious substances being used in place of the banned neonics. Further down his page, he refers to an article about the dangers of a synthetic miticide, so it's not "all chemicals are OK".
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syngenta, Bayer and the Co. say that its not Neonics who are causing issues but beekeepers are. That is same what Randy Oliver sais. They must be right ... CLEARLY Rolling Eyes

As I said, we all have to make a living and Im sure we can find multitudes of other jobs then lobbying for pesticide companies.

I spoke to my local bee inspector in Sweden and he sais that most beeks with high bee mortality had Rape Seed growing close to them that year.

Our member Bernhard had big summer losses when a near by farmer sprayed with Neonics.

Multitudes of studies show loss of orientation in bees as well as immediate death depending on the dosage. What happens to the developing bee being fed with pollen laden with Neonics? Etc, etc ...
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following Randy's articles since a long time. He completely changed his attitude in this subject after visiting the Bayer. See: http://scientificbeekeeping.com/a-new-large-scale-trial-of-clothianidin/

Since then he appears to be an apologist. It is a pitty.
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the course of the day-long tour and dinner, all parties involved—the Bayer scientists, the government regulators, the seed companies, the growers, and the beekeepers—had ample opportunity to openly discuss issues and solutions. We were able to speak candidly with a number of Bayer environmental scientists from Germany, Canada, and the U.S., who all confirmed the high interest that Bayer has in developing bee-friendly products. Over dinner, I asked Dr. Christian Maus (Global Pollinator Safety Manager for Bayer CropScience) whether Bayer was concerned about finding out something negative when they run a new trial. He replied that if indeed there was a problem with one of their products, Bayer would want to be the first to know of it!

Throughout the tour, the atmosphere was very positive for working together to support the growers, while at the same time protecting bee health. Our overall impression was that Bayer is acting in good faith and that Drs. Cutler and Scott-Dupree are earnestly conducting a well-designed trial that should detect any measureable effect of clothianidin upon colony productivity and survival.

He is dinning with the Devil I see. Well that explains a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: