Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
First year TBH - SF bay area, CA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allie
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: First year TBH - SF bay area, CA. Reply with quote

Set up a TBH last April and it seems to be doing fine: nice straight combs (just a bit of curving in the last 3), everything orderly. I was afraid they would outgrow it quickly and swarm. The Lang hive on the same property is a big booming hive - the top bar girls just seem to stay just the right size. I'm not going to harvest any honey this year. I was planning to take honey only if they ran out of room. Is that what other beeks do?
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I harvest in the spring, when I am sure they have got through the winter, and I wouldn't harvest in the first year. But there's no right answer to this, and certainly no right answer that applies everywhere in the world.
ccarrington
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Hive Update Reply with quote

Hi Allie,

It's been a year... how are you and your bees doing? Inquiring minds want to know Smile
Markki
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: New TBH beekeeper bees cross combing Reply with quote

April 2015 placed bees two weeks ago in new empty topbar hive. Inspected today and diagonal cross combing is bridging all my top bars. Should I just let it go for these bars and try to get new bars built straight?
ccarrington
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of top bar comb guides do you have? Is your hive level left to right and back to front?
Markki
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccarrington wrote:
What kind of top bar comb guides do you have? Is your hive level left to right and back to front?

I am using 1.5 W x 16 L inch with 1/4 inch cut down the center filled with 1/4 inch wood strip coated with beeswax for the guide. I do not think my hive is level but I can make it level. I have made a second story top bar addition that lets the bees come up through the bottom hive area to the top. My plan is to get them to build the top story along the bars for later honey robbing and then next year rework the bottom hive area orientation if possible.
Markki
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Top bar hive status mid June Reply with quote

My top bar hive is doing well. It's been almost 2 months since installing my bee package. The bees are very busy thru out my yards fruit trees and flowers. I am seeing quite a lot of bees on my lemon tree blossoms. I have installed a second level for expansion. I noticed the bees cleaning it but have yet to build any comb up top. The bottom level where I first installed the bees is all cross combed. I am still thinking of ways to correct this. I leveled the hive as previously suggested. I was thinking of taking some comb from the bottom and installing into the top to give them a start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: