Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
politics question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peebix
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: politics question Reply with quote

Hello

I joined the forum actually to ask a question under 'Bee products'. But now I have joined, I have a general question too. I have had a layman interest in bees for a while, since CCD appeared, because it's obviously an important environmental and societal issue.

When my bee question came up today and I wanted to find some experts, I remembered that I had read earlier about a split in the beekeeping community, because the British Beekeepers Association was taking funding from the pesticide industry. I was just googling around, and did not find any up-to-date information. How did that turn out and what is the latest situation?

Thanks for any update.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://britishbeekeeping.com for the history of this debacle.

The BBKA never answered my question:

Quote:
In the light of the above, the BBKA executives who were responsible for the endorsement policy appear to have been either:
(a) negligent in their assessment of published research, or

(b) reckless in their endorsement of products known to be toxic to bees.

Which do you consider to have been the case?

Hardly surprising, really, since they would have condemned themselves in either case.
peebix
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I had seen that letter at the time, I think there was a Guardian article, and I remembered it. I also recall afterwards that the Environment Minister of the time, Mr Paterson, was making a great deal about a government report that exonerated neonicotinoids of any connection to CCD, disagreeing with multiple published papers in the scientific literature. The author of that report, Dr Helen Thompson, shortly later left her post with the UK government to join Syngenta. Interesting move, I assume she's doing well. All history now but thanks for your actions to highlight the issue at that time.
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no confirmed cases of CCD in the UK so your points about it are not relevant.
peebix
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was that a scientist wrote a report that favoured the pesticide industry while employed by the UK govt, and shortly thereafter joined a pesticide company. It's directly relevant to the question of the close connection between the BBKA and the pesticide industry.
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the BBKA no longer accepts money from pesticide companies.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madasafish wrote:
I believe the BBKA no longer accepts money from pesticide companies.

True, but BBKA Enterprises was established to "hide" pesticide money from the membership. BBKA Enterprises still exists. The excuses given (VAT recovery and trading) for it's continued existence are invalid as those roles can both be done by BBKA.

Members should question the existence of a company that has no apparent role.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBKA never said that they would not take money from pesticide companies, merely that they would not take money for endorsements involving the use of the BBKA logo.

Those weasel words allow them plenty of scope to accept dirty money on any number of other pretexts, while continuing their policy of grovelling servitude to Bayer and Syngenta, as evidenced by their failure to campaign against neonicotinoids or any other pesticides that have been proven to be a danger to bees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: