Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Mould in TBH - what to do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laurieston
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Mould in TBH - what to do? Reply with quote

A little advice please.

A warm day today, although not as warm as Sunday when both colonies in my TBH were gathering pollen. I as concerned that there is less to see now than then, and almost nothing to hear.

So I opened the hive and it is quite mouldy inside, green/grey mould, and something that looks like wax moth web. Otherwise I did find bees and stores.

But what do I do about the mould?
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience of this, but I have seen advice on this forum which just says "do nothing". As the weather warms up and the colony expands, the bees will tidy it up.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal in any type of hive to get some mould forming in areas that the bees don't heat over winter, typically on stored pollen, which is fermenting in nectar and not protected by a wax cap in the way that honey is.

If the mould looks like being too much work for the bees to clean up, then take it out/scape it off or whatever seems appropriate, but don't completely dismiss the possibility that there might be something in there of value to bees...
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question; Im wondering if your hive has bottom or top entrance. I have only found mould in my dead hives but not in those with living bees in.

My bees didnt touch the honey stores at the back but there was no mould on those combs. I wonder if this has something to do with my hives having a top entrance. Mould prefers condensation which can't form that easily in hives with a top entrance.

The only hive with live bees that had mouldy combs was the one I had the first year with a periscope entrance but never with top entrance.

Thanks for sharing
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that surplus pollen is much more prone to mould than honey, and that empty combs that have never been used for brood almost never attract mould, as pure wax is water-repellent, while old brood comb can hold water up to about 11% of its weight (Bernhard will know the exact figure!).
csturgess
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: mould in tbh Reply with quote

Hi. This was our first winter with bees of any sort. When we opened our hive a week or so again (it was nice and warm) we noticed that the sides of the inside of the hive were blackened - but only where the bees were living. The bit after the following bar was the same colour as it was last summer. The bees are perfectly healthy and the queen is laying but we don't know if the blackened sides are mould or natural colouring after being in all winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: