Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
dimensions of TBH for purchasing wood

View previous topic :: View next topic  
obcarskas
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: dimensions of TBH for purchasing wood Reply with quote

I am interested to know if varying the specified plank sizes of wood to buy to make a tbh is possible or if any reason not to ?

reviewing the specific dimensions of all parts in the tbh plans i see many references to 2 of this and that regarding the sides of the body in particular

this is because planks are used to join together

but

Sides 1100 by 600 by 25mm thick
Ends 450 by 600 by 25mm thick
Roof 1250 by 300 by é(mm thick obviusly here 2 pieces needed as pointed top
floor 1170 by 180 by 25mm thick

legs etc of course as specified

so

total lenght approx of wood for hive body needed is
1100 + 450 + 1260 + 1170 =3930 about 4 meters long ...

width approx max 600

thickness whatever 1 inch or 25mm or thicker ?

I am trying to asses how exactly to know how much and what wood to buy to make a hive ! i sent an email to a timber merchant with the set tbh as in book details but got no reply

maybe too complex for them

so then i thought ok if i need to cut the wood myself how much wood do i need ?

that is what i am trying to do come up with a set what to buy wood spec

any views on my idea ? or has anyone else got a set shopping list of how to buy the wood needed in the tbh spec ?
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest exterior/marine ply for the roof, unless you want to get your weight-lifting exercises done at the same time as your beekeeping.

Leaving modesty aside for a moment (!) you really need a copy of my book Balanced Beekeeping I (see below or www.biobees.com/books ) where all this info is discussed and specified.
obcarskas
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha just watching johnathon ross show and one guest mentioning save the bees several times ! well this cart thing on the biobees website doesnt quite work properly...you cannot ADD more than one item by clicking CONTINUE SHOPPING it simply removes the previous choice with the new one ! so doing one at a time lol ! thx watch this space !

jaja marine plywood found a supplier locally...25 GBP per m2 not bad

then i drove off to what said it was a RECLAIMABLE place for wood and all sorts and found ? mostly huge stone statues of dogs ! barrels of portugese wine empty wood barrels but no they dont do wood planks only railway sleepers and what looked like fallen trees ! Rolling Eyes [img][/img][img][/img][img] why does the image icon keep putting img words in my text instead of going to select a pic ? ouff ! [/img]
well none of what i saw in the reclaimable yard at beeston was for beehives but great things seen and a wood chair bought !
http://s923.photobucket.com/user/feja_juodas/slideshow/Cheshire%20Delights%20in%20Mad%20March%20Hare%20time/Beeston%20Castle%20and%20Reclaimable%20yard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: