Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
The 'Framed Top-Bar'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bright ideas, experiments and projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: The 'Framed Top-Bar' Reply with quote

I had planned on making Delon-style wire frames for my 14x12 Long Hive - but discovered that the bees I have are not at all troubled by the presence of wire, and that they had simply built their combs in my Russian 'Alpine' hives from wall to wall, incorporating the wires in the process - and so I see very little point in using wire frames anymore - other than as one method of supporting combs.

Some people fit skewers or thin dowel rods to their Top Bars in order to support comb - and so I thought it logical to install similar supports, but at the sides of the comb and thus benefit from the non-attachment to the hive walls that this provides. Hence - the 'Framed Top-Bar'.

However, there's still a need to support combs during the building phase, and I did consider incorporating a catenary-shaped wire, thusly:

But finally settled on the proven method of using a few strands of nylon fishing line instead:

Hardly an Earth-shattering innovation - but I'm posting this just in case it's of interest to anyone who may be thinking along similar lines ...

Colin
BBC
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is called a 'frame'.

The whole point of top bar hives is that you don't need to use frames...
BBC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biobee wrote:
That is called a 'frame'.

The whole point of top bar hives is that you don't need to use frames...

I didn't post this in the Top Bar sub-forum.

It is NOT a 'frame' - it is a Framed Top-Bar - which, as such, still provides a substantial and sealed upper surface to the cavity, which conventional frames do not.

The advantage of thiis 'hybrid' is that the comb no longer remains unsupported - which is hardly a 'natural' feature after all, and certainly not desirable with combs of this size and depth. Large removable combs need to be supported in some way, and I'd say this is probably one of the better ways of achieving such support. If there are other/ better ways of achieving support for removable combs, I'd welcome their inclusion in this thread ...

Colin
BBC
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam : "It's a princess".

Colin : "No, Adam, it's a dog".

Adam : "It's a dog-princess hybrid".
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, if that is a picture of your dog princess you have gone right down in my estimation. You have a good point though.... is there really a need for a dog princess?

Colin, I understand the potential need for support in a Tanzanian TBH or your Russian Alpine hives in this case, as there will be more weight in the comb for the same surface adhesion than a Kenyan.... I just don't really understand the need for wires if you are putting a frame around it.... I have never entirely understood why some foundation is wired. It always seemed to be more of a nuisance than an advantage.

I think the problems you were having with attachment with the Delon style frame may have been because it is difficult to maintain an exact bee space between it and the hive wall with a wire frame. You may experience the same problem with your wooden frames or worse still they may propolise the gap between frame and hive wall.
I do feel that making frames and even more so with wiring them is over complicating a Top Bar Hive for no obvious reason/benefit.... I can't remember why you preferred to go with a rectangular profile TB hive in the first place, which is why I don't understand your motivation for frames and wiring support I suppose. Can you remind me, so I can understand where you are going with this?
BBC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara - I've sent you a PM - Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bright ideas, experiments and projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: