Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
hive/comb subsitution for beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Safronsue
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: hive/comb subsitution for beginner Reply with quote

My tbh! very proud. Thank you Phil Chandler for the plans

i'm in Greece, no one knows about top bar hives, they tend to have 100 langstroths on a hill, and they are always men. They will roll their eyes when i start talking, i know. Enough of the background.

Please can someone walk me through the process of getting bees from langstroth (I think they're them but I am not certain) to tbh? Should i just buy a complete hive , bring it home? (how?) and go it alone, or should i give some top bars to rolling eyed greek beek to insert in one of his hives until comb built and then transport in my small bail hive to home tbh. help!

oops, can't post pic yet as not made 5 posts, but will do further down
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you not buy a nuc of bees in greece rather than a complete hive?
or package bees,
how about putting out you name and number for swarm collections and hope to get your bees that way?
or buy yourself/make a tbh nuc then give that to the local keepers to make you up some bees?
failing all of that, you could take langstroth frames and cut them and retro fit them to your top bars, although it's easier if you have help doing it, search you tube for clips on how to do

good luck
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I transfer frame comb into a top bar hive. Note that Lang has wider top bar frame and even the top part of the frame will have to be cropped. Its good to have help when doing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5VIOMwVNU
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Che Guebuddha wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5VIOMwVNU

nice video, I subscribed to your channel, love the fact you use an old english saying, that rarely gets heard anymore

WHOOPS A DAISY Laughing
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the lang frame nice and big it will almost take a whole chandler sized top bar. I would put your follower board up against a frame and see what the size differences are. You might be able to insert a few triangles of wood into lang frames and use a lang nuc.

perhaps something like this?

[img]https://plus.google.com/u/0/#photos?pid=6142768807882950114&oid=104401588299953051979[/img]
Safronsue
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video, thanks for that, I can see how it's done. Also found Phil chandlers chop and crop. I am waiting to talk to a local beek and will see what he suggests and get back to you. Thanks for your help.
I cannot see the image on the previous post, might be because I'm on my iPad, don't know, if there is a problem could the poster repost it please. Curious.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an image to appear here, the url must end in .jpg or .png
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: