Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Swarm - how long can I keep them closed up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chardyboy
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Swarm - how long can I keep them closed up? Reply with quote

Hi All,

My hive threw another swarm yesterday, which I've recovered and need to rehome (already a post in the Swarm section).

I've got them in a plastic flowerpot with top bars across the top and a cork holding everyone in - with ventilation holes in the bottom.

1) How long can they be kept closed in like this until rehomed?
2) If I uncork them, will it cause too much disruption when they're recorked and moved again?

Cheers

Dave
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave.
Congrats on catching yet another one. Hopefully this will be the last or you are going to be left with very little in your hive.

I would uncork them and let them forage until you find a home for them. If it turns into a matter of weeks instead of days, you could even sell them as a TB nuc. No problem recorking them when you find a home for them although I prefer to tape a piece of mesh across the hole for better ventilation during transport.. Just do it at night when they have stopped flying. The only risk is that they might abscond when you remove the cork, but if it is the same plant pot as you previously used to catch the other swarms they will most likely be happy to stay.

I thought you had a project in the pipeline to site hives on a military base nearby? Did that fall through? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Regards

Barbara
Chardyboy
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Barbara,

Yes, it was/is me with the military site plan - they bought 10 Thornes TBHs and deployed them, and promptly filled them with swarms caught around the garrisons - they are ticking over quite nicely. I have since left the company I worked for, but still have access to one "non secure" site.

I went to visit my empty hive on a non-secure site and once again, the roof had been removed and thrown about 6ft away from the hive, so I'm not sure what's going on there - I will rehome this swarm there on Friday evening unless anyone wants them beforehand - and just hope that with bees in residence, the hive will be left alone.

The ones on my shed roof are also going to be relocated to that site too.
With their success of building up and throwing out swarms, we've accepted that we can't really keep in the garden any more (on a housing estate) - but I do fear it may be the last I see of them. Sad

I will however be taking a comb of honey as 3yrs back rent!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: