Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Transferring from a Langstroth to a TBH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exmar
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Transferring from a Langstroth to a TBH Reply with quote

Abuot a year and a half ago, became interested in the TBH, obtained plans and built one. I already had a Langstroth hive that I'd moved onto the farm and left alone other than providing water in dry spells. The hive wood physically deteriorated, and I finally found a local beekeeper to help me. Moved that one into a new hive last year, they thrived. This spring, did a split and now have two langs. The TBH was set up last year with LGO and old comb (rubber bands to top bars) as a trap hive, didn't work. Rebaited the TBH with Swarm Commander this spring, didn't work again. Originally, I was going to buy packaged bees for the TBH. Having researched, I've decided that the bees I have were feral bees that moved into a vacant hive and are thriving, didn't want to get bees from "down south," based on negative comments I've read online. Whatever these feral bees have going for them, want to reinforce and continue it.

What I'm wondering about is doing a split from one of the lang's into the TBH. Here's a video I found online which seems to provide a very straight forward approach to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugLHWkhan44

It's a big disconcerting that the person doing the video said it's an experiment and "should" work. I wondered if the bees would go from parallel comb to the hive body, to perpendicular on the new TBH frames?

I'm also getting a third Lang from my mentor as he has to move it from his beeyard. Backstory: When I went to a local sawmill to get rough sawn oak for the TBH, the folks there were wondering what to do about a colony of bees that had moved into a poplar log that spring. I called my mentor and he collected them and set them up. His beeyard is in a fenced off corner of one of his pastures. The new bees behave "normally" except they have declared war on any of his cattle that approach the fence? I don't run cattle anymore so that wouldn't be a problem here. So will shortly have three lang's.

So, I certainly have enough enough brood, etc. to establish a split, however, being new to beekeeping not real sure of the methodology. Also wondered about building some shorter TBH frames which would fit a Lang, with a quick disconnet to then be attached to the standard length top bar for transfer. Place those in the brood box of a lang, then transfer. Alternately, add some wood to the inside of the TBH so they would just drop in and add conventional top bars from there.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, hazard of being a retired engineer. Smile

Other than wanting to help the bees, not into this for honey. I find it ironic that I got into this because I wanted to build a TBH and see how it worked. Now I have an empty TBH and three lang's with strong colonies.

Suggestions?

Thanks for your time,

Ev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: