Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Nuc Swarming.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greengage
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Nuc Swarming. Reply with quote

Hi,
Recieved a Nuc last week and left them in Nuc for 3 days, then transfered them to Brood box, On transfering we noticed 2 capped queen cells, but older queen was still on frames, So looks like they were ready to swarm It was recommended that we remove the two capped cells and wait three days then have another look. We added more frames to give them space as they had built up quiet rapidly in the Nucs. The question is will they start building queen cells again and should we leave them at it and split the brood, or should could we requeen.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is really difficult for us to judge if they will make more queen cells. They have obviously been cramped for space in the nuc, which has prompted the swarm preparations. Lucky you caught them before they went. My worry would be that they have already slimmed the queen down ready to swarm if the QCs were capped.
Have you interspersed new frames between the nuc frames or just put them to one end? Interspersing them may help settle them down more providing there are plenty of bees to cover the brood. Did you see a good mixture of new brood (eggs and larvae) as well as capped brood in the nuc, so you know the old queen is still laying. Was it a 5 frame nuc and how much of it was brood and how much stores? I would be disinclined to split them at this early stage but if they continue to make swarm cells, that might be your best option and then perhaps recombine later in the summer.
greengage
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we interspersed new frames in the hive and there was lots of brood uncapped and capped brood also drone cells, we will open the hive again tomorrow and let you know what happens, The weather looks very good, observing the hive from outside these past few days everything looks normal as bees are carrying pollen in and there does not seem to be too much excitement going on otherwise.
greengage
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened the hive today, All appears well, Queen observed on frames, two playcups observed both empty lots of bees bringing in pollen and good stores available, So everything seems ok, Will check again next week.
greengage
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: NUC Swarming. Reply with quote

Looks like we have a problem, It appears that the bees had started to make more queen cells, so we were advised to remove them and the old queen and allow the bees to rear a new queen from recently laid eggs, this we did last Tuesday and were advised to look again in five days time, All appeared well until yesterday when there was a lot of activity at the hive entrance and the bees appeared a little restless, I observed a larger bee flying around the hive entrance, what this meant I do not know, Anyway Thursday a large swarm left the hive and lucky I was on site when this happened the sky was full of bees, I tracked them for a while as the seemed to settle on a top of a three story building but they took off again and luckily they landed near the hive on the ground where I collected them and placed them in a new Nuc with new frames, I now have them closed in for a few days and will probably give them a feed then before opening the Nuc, So what do you suppose happened, Did I miss a queen cell or could they swarm without a queen any advice welcome thanks in advance, It was mentioned by Barbara that the queen could be slimmed down for her exit and this may be the case before we removed her. (Great site with lots of info not just saying that hoping for a response)
newbeekeeper1
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuc Swarming. Reply with quote

It`s natural for bees to swarm. They need more space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: