Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Cathedral hive-the next evolution in TBH design?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Dreyer
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Cathedral hive-the next evolution in TBH design? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
have you heard about the latest thoughts on TBH desigen? It's called cathedral hive. How do you feel about it?
Here is the link:
http://www.backyardhive.com/the_cathedral_hive_the_next_evolution_in_top_bar_hive_design/

Kind regards
Michael
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this very interesting design Michael. I will be very interested to see the plans or fotos of this hive when they are finally released. This hive will be technically a lot more challenging to build than a TBH. Most DIYers will probably not be able to build it easily. I would imagine that the lid would have to overlap and wonder about the thermal insulation and thickness of wood used. The frames would require a jig to ensure accurate and equal production. Is it a sealed hive or is there some ventilated floor?
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This very design was discussed on here some months back, if I remember correctly.

I'd like to see how they stop these bars from toppling over in the early days of comb building where they will be top-heavy.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve can you remember what name it was given. I have searched this site under Cathedral without any hits?
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original thread - http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

As I said before, making a beautifully simple concept very complicated!
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often commented that the box type is for the person, not the bees. This is a prime example.

Cheers
Rob
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that if given one I would enjoy using this hive. As it is, construction is probably beyond my skills for making the frames accurately and the cost is probably prohibitive for me to buy one, still any donations welcome!
Smorning
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekmate wrote:
Original thread - http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

As I said before, making a beautifully simple concept very complicated!

I agree making topbars is easy albeit repetitive to make this alternative topbar would add a lot of time and complexity to the construction and could be too complex for many. Interesting idea however I will stick to simple Rolling Eyes
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building a cathedral hive right now, and hope to have it up by swarm season this year. I'll post photos and let you know how the bees like it!
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue

Will be very interested to see the finished product but could you possibly also take construction photos as you go.

Regards

Barbara
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Barbara. I have a woodworking friend who is helping me along the way. We have the three-part bars done. We're also slightly modifying the hive so that we put an eco-floor on it.

This summer, I am also turning my attention to skeps and sun hives. We have a sun hive workshop in the fall, and I'm practicing making skeps this winter.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Wow! I'm very impressed Sue! You don't do things by halves do you!

I'm hoping to go to a skep workshop run by my neighbouring BBKA group later this year. The group that covers my area is very conservative and conventional but the neighbouring one is quite progressive I'm told. I'm not quite sure what to expect, whether it will be a skep beekeeping or skep making workshop or a bit of both. I haven't seen any information on it, just word of mouth that it's happening and that places will be limited.

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on all these different hives when you get them occupied and running and find out if you have a favourite.

Great that you have a woodworking friend to help you. My partner was a woodwork/metalwork teacher but he doesn't seem to enjoy making things now that he's retired, Sad
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Barbara, we can compare our skep effort photos! I've been thinking about what it would take to keep bees comfortably in a skep, and I DO have cover over my little bee garden, which I'm certain is necessary. I was also thinking of setting them on an "eco-box" so they could have a box of deep floor litter beneath them. The sunhive, I will hang. I like the idea of having a bunch of conservation hives of various kinds, and a couple hives I can get into easily and actuallyt "work" a few times a year.

We're also holding a log hive workshop---zeidler beekeeping---in April. Needless to say, I'm just all in a buzz!
Kjeldebu
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the cathedral hive Reply with quote

Hi,

The design seems indeed overly complex and as to wether it serves the bees better: well, we're just beginning beekeepers (our first colony since before yesterday, yippie), who are we to tell?

I was wondering what you think of the Super Highway? It sounds like an interesting concept and would be logical to prevent bees from having to move from one comb to the other by the bottom. The idea of herding the bees away through those holes seems nice too.

We will be building a TBH, why not add the highways to it?

Any thoughts?

Jonathan & Dominique
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: I love my cathedral hive. Reply with quote

I've had bees in my cathedral hive since March when we started our swarm season. The first group was tiny and perished. The next group absconded. The third group is building like crazy. Corwin has now made bee-highways and slits for regular top bar hives.

I haven't gone into my cathedral hive since the last group took residence about a month ago, but I LOVE looking in the viewing window and seeing the faces of those long, big combs! When I did go in to home my swarms, they all instantly took to the highways. Early to tell with this hive design, but so far, I am liking the long combs, the ease of viewing, and having no question that the bees can have as much or as little ventilation as they desire. I don't like having to second guess bees needs.

Further updates: I have indeed taken the classes on making SunHives. I have one completed, and another I will begin soon with thick organic hemp rope to see if there are other good alternatives to rye grass.

For now, I have six hives: 1 Warre', 2 top bars, 1 cathedral, 1 log hive, and 1 small swarm in a wooden bucket in my bedroom with an outside flight tube. All are building up very nicely. I hope to add a swarm to my Sun Hive after I get it sealed with cow dung. I'm bee-ing a happy girl these days!
beegraham
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Cathedral top bar hive Reply with quote

I have just finished one and I intend stocking it with Nuc or swarm at the end of June. On hols abroad at present otherwise I would have stocked up already.
It is a fascinating design to be sure and one I hope to begin beekeeping with For one reason or another those into bees with their conventional national hives and similar are very dismissive of innovative designs but I for one, am of the opinion Cathedral hives have merits of their own. The big no no is the fact that they are time consuming to make. Fortunately I have the time and sufficient woodworking skills to be able to produce one by studying the photos. //goo.gl/photos/dTxKYjELaM5x4b8x7
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the building is way out of my league, but I love the long, deep combs. It is , I think, more of a vertical orientation for the bees, which I know they like. The colony has completely taken off, going from my smallest swarm to the largest colony I have in two months. They are about half-built out now. When full, it will be a very large hive of bees, and I don't have to do any stacking!

My bees in my log hive-round are going nuts, also. The wood is maple, about 4 to 5 inches thick. No problem for winter insulation in there!
beegraham
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Cathedral hive-the next evolution in TBH design? Reply with quote

P.S. I have used Ash and Western red Cedar with the top half roof clad outside with a double skin plastic roofing. Wood is approx 7/8 in thick and plastic 3/8in. painted white. A sticky floor tray of balsa coated in Vasaline is provided as a Veroa trap beneath an aluminium latice barrier. Plenty of ventilation is provided too. The ends of the top bars have a hardwood cill to butt against that stops them slipping off the edge when the roof is lifted off. Ideally I would like to add a hinge to save lifting bodily up and away. A later mod to follow perhaps.
velacreations
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a simpler way of achieving the hexagon shape for a hive: https://www.beescientific.net/
beegraham
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Cathedral Top Bar hive progress Reply with quote

Since I placed a swarm into my top bar hive on July 17th it has grown and seems to be flourishing. 5 well developed combs and two fresh ones.
http://moggo-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/bee-progress.html
Thebigflyin
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huy thats so cool man!!
beegraham
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Cathedral hTBH build and early progress Reply with quote

Convinced this is a first rate design I have now built a further three Cathedral type hTBH to be ready for the spring 2017. For images etc. see herehttp://moggo-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/how-to-make-beehive-old-remedy.html and a further post here of my expanding colony now occupying eight bars of the total twenty three bars: http://moggo-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/cathedral-top-bar-bee-hive.html
mal
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,
What angle is the bevel on your bars ? They look pretty steep and was wondering about the attachment strength in relation to this discussion http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12446

Of course - there is an inherent stronger attachment due to the cathedral shape, and use of fixed foundation

I assume the relative steepness is a) attempt to reduce cross combing, and b) to leave access space to the highway ?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: