Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Double hive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BridgetB
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Double hive Reply with quote

Last year in early July I went to install a large established swarm into an empty TBH only to find a swarm already moved in! (R) So I put the colony in the other end (L) with 2 followers between them. The little swarm (R) grew but remained fairly small (7 small combs) going in to autumn. During the winter during a warm spell L was very busy. R was not and later, I even observed a fly going in and out of R and only one bee at the entrance. 3rd Feb, very little activity, 17th March masses of activity and very little from L. In April there was no activity from L.

This week I inspected starting with the "empty end" (L). There was some empty comb with perhaps 10 sealed unhatched worker brood, then several combs of crystalised honey with a lot of bees on it - squeezing past the followers back into the other side.

When I inspected R I found 4 combs of brood in all stages (but not seen eggs or queen, but I find that hard) followed by 3 combs of sealed and unsealed honey + pollen. It looks as if the L queen failed over the winter and the colony moved into the R side! Done their own combination! I gave R several of L's combs and 2 empty bars between so they have more room now.

So I am pleased in the circumstances that my followers leak bees but what are other people's experiences of 2 colonies in one TBH?
Ollie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bridget.

Just a question and hope its not a silly one......

If the bees could get between the follower board, would the stronger bees R have killed the queen in L, resulting in the bigger R colony? Sorry if its asilly question but just curious.

Hope all your other bees are doing well. Weve had fantastic weather here in west of Ireland and my 2 hives are a humming..... soo pleased with them especially for my first year.
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run a hive with two colonies one at each end with no trouble.
You can balance the colony sizes with brood transfer.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year I caught a swarm from a hive and put the resulting swarm in to the other end of the original hive, with a follower for each colony. I used masking tape to seal the two colonies off from each other. I don't know if it really made any difference.

I just about got them through the summer and following winter without running out of room, but it was a close run thing. The two followers were jammed up to each other by the end of September.

I got a new hive for the following spring. Obviously it depends on the size of the hive and the general conditions, but I wouldn't have managed the following year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: