Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Building a Top Bar Hive from the plans...measurements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Howard
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Building a Top Bar Hive from the plans...measurements? Reply with quote

As basis for my first TBH build I am using plans and instructions in the 'How to Build a Top Bar Hive - Barefoot Beekeeper'.

I am puzzled by some of the dimensions given!

The cutting list indicates the side boards 1100 x 300 x 25mm.

In the plans...the follower boards are to be cut to a vertical (top to bottom) measure of 11" and even 12". ie 280mm or 300mm.
This means the angled sides of the follower boards are longer than 300 mm

I dont understand how the side boards at 300mm can cover the longer angled sides of the follower boards.

All the photos of the jig construction method show a perfect match of angled follower sides and the side board inner side width.

This of course may be all down to my bad math or reading of the plans and I would be happy to be enlightened before I start cutting any timber.
DaiGriff
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,

I had the same issue with mine...i will check the measurements later, but i did need to trim a little off the bottom. It will not be exact if you have a wire mesh floor as there is some give so it needs to be snug...the 12" i believe is where you have the ecofloor where you need the follower to press into the wood chip/leaves.
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well spotted, yes.
The follower needs to be cut to the profile of the bottom. If you are using mesh you will need to cut a curve in the end of the board to accommodate the bulge of the mesh.
Craig Howard
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for confirming my "findings".

What I have done to measure the vertical height of the follower boards so they slightly extend below the 300mm side boards is a simple measuring jig. This also gives me the angle.

I used a large right angle roofing square and laid a top bar marked at 380mm on it at the top and marked a set square 128mm to represent a base bar.

I slid the base bar up and down the square until I got the 300mm measurement on the angle less the allowance for over hang into the eco floor. (8-10mm)

My floor will be mesh in a frame with 8-10mm space for eco litter up to the follower board bottoms. The frame will be fully drop off (removable) if required for maintenance/ cleaning if ever required. No need for curved bottoms to the boards hopefully.

It will also have a full floor on a hinge for ventilation needs.

I am committed to the exact 300mm sides because of the material I had on hand. I ripped a Lundia 1200 x 610mm shelf down the middle for them.

Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: