Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Corner entrance ("diagonal" way)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garbeam
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Corner entrance ("diagonal" way) Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just started building another new TBH hive and came up with the idea to put the entrance at 45° towards the combs, basically cutting 10mm x 70mm either way around a bottom corner.

As you know, the expected result of putting the entrance to the long side would most likely lead to "cold way" and at the end side to "warm way" comb arrangements.

The reasoning behind the corner entrance hole position is to support the often observed preference of the bees to draw comb at 45° angles towards the entrance hole.

Has anyone of you tested a similar setup already? Or does anyone of you has good reasons not to do so?

Thanks for your opinions.

BR,
garbeam
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was of the opinion that the bees prefer to build the first comb across the entrance (warm ways) like a curtain.... I think I picked that up from the skep beekeepers videos....subsequent combs behind it may be arranged in a different orientation. I make my entrances warm ways as a result of this and put them in the vertical ends of the hives.

Are you not perhaps getting confused with bees building comb from corner to corner in a square box where there is no comb guide or frame. The reason for that is more to do with them choosing the longest length to build the first comb across, rather than it's orientation to the entrance I believe, but I've never been able to ask a bee, to confirm that. Wink

If you decide to go ahead with your experiment, please keep us informed of their progress and whether you feel it has been beneficial.

I think the down side may be that you will only be able to start inspections from the back of the hive.
Even with vertical face end entrances, I have a blank bar and then a follower board with holes at the top directly after that, so that I have effectively created a lobby, before the hive cavity..... the benefits of this are two fold.... wasps and other robbers cannot see or have a direct access into the hive and it creates a baffle to stop wind blowing directly in..... and of course I can remove the empty bar, slide back the follower and create enough space to inspect from that end too.

Regards

Barbara
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chief cause of problems is solutions - Eric Sevareid

I think you could achieve the option of cold way and warm way by simply drilling a hole in the side and on the end as an choice for you. You would then be able to open either or both and more to the point close them easily. Non-standard entrances are always a problem when closing entrances to move hives or prevent robbing etc. I have entrances working cold ways and warm ways and see very little difference in the productivity of the colonies. What I do see is a difference between direct versus indirect (eg periscope) entrances. When wind gets through the entrance this seems to cause the bees to draw comb in different directions otherwise they stick to the comb guide.
garbeam
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks for your thoughts so far.

@Barbara: that's a good point you raise. Several pictures of diagonal comb arrangements might be related to the lead comb being drawn first based on the bees measurements of the cavity and thus could also be unrelated to the actual entrance situation.

@AugustC: Does your experience with the periscope entrance indicate it is a good or bad idea? I guess you mean it seems to be a good idea at least from a straight comb standpoint?

BR,
garbeam
garbeam
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

now I've finished another hive with the suggested corner entrance: https://goo.gl/photos/wjPVs5cKKYLVPiSX9

-garbeam
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garbeam wrote:
Hi there,
@AugustC: Does your experience with the periscope entrance indicate it is a good or bad idea? I guess you mean it seems to be a good idea at least from a straight comb standpoint?

BR,
garbeam

I think it is a good idea.
We can assume that the colonies are protected from the worst of the wind.
They certainly seem to be bothered less with robbing especially with wasps.
The drawing of straight comb is also less of an issue with these hives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: