Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
bees and weather help please asap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxine
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: bees and weather help please asap Reply with quote

Hello, I need help, I am not a new keeper, just managed to lock myself out of my original account and cant seem to get back in.
here is my problem, I took delivery of a few full hives some Hungarian, I don't have frame for them or suppers (they are different size to what I have) and they are full to bursting, so I thought I would take some frames remove the honey and return the frame to give them some room ( I thought that would be the best thing to do) the problem is dark clouds strong winds and cold.

what I would normally do, is just that but it is windy stronger than normal, and right now the confidence I had taking them on seems to have left for the day, I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction Please asap please.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maxine

Yes the change in weather is not helping you and I would be reluctant to try to harvest some honey now or do any other significant manipulation until the weather is more settled. Do you have any National supers that you could use and make a simple board to transition from the Hungarian size boxes to the National. I piece of plywood cut to the size of the larger box with some large holes cut in the middle of it should be enough, like a crown board. Of course you will then have the problem of the Hungarian roof not fitting, so it would need to be placed in between the Hungarian boxes with another similar transition board above. Or alternatively leave them to potentially swarm and have some bait hives ready to hopefully attract them.

I understand the frustrations of having different sized hives and it involves having to cobble things together more often than not, usually at short notice, so having some wood working skills and tools is necessary
Look at it this way, if the worst that happens is that they swarm, is it really such a big deal? Especially if you are fortunate enough to capture or bait the swarm(s) and can then start them in a new hive of your choosing. I used to get so stressed about trying to prevent swarming and one of the things I love about more natural beekeeping is embracing and even relishing it.

Best wishes

Barbara
maxine
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Barbara,
that's a brilliant idea and yes I can manage that (this wind is so nasty at the moment) I have frames for nationals but only enough wax to give them all starter strips, (according to the weather this is it for the next few days) there were 44 full hives delivered yesterday and I don't have enough for all of them so would cut them into strips, would starter strips be enough for them or the chance on empty frames.
thank you so much for getting back to me.
could you help me with another problem, I am 1abee, I signed in a few days ago and changed me email address to 1 I use every day but it in activated the account.
thank again off to start building x
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxine - I have re-activated your 1abee account.
1abee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara,
from 1abee and me, Maxine yay I'm home xx Very Happy
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You call 44 hives, "a few"!! Shocked

Good luck with that....sounds like you are going to be busy! I can see why you would suddenly feel a bit overwhelmed and why you would probably want to prevent them from swarming. Did these bees come from Hungary? It's not a common hive type in the UK, which is why I ask.
Clearly with so many hives, you are looking at a commercial set up and therefore would be well advised to standardise your equipment as soon as you can.

Regards

Barbara
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that wind is not ideal for harvesting honey. I had planned to take some myself today but on feeling the wind decided to do some other work on the allotment instead.
1abee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning guys,
Barbara, they came form here but the guy that sold the hives is Hungarian and used his hives, he then got nationals and built it up from there, he wants to go home hence why he sold his girls.
Catchercradle, I didn't want to take the honey, I wanted to empty some frame to give them a little room (I don't harvest till late in the season) I panicked that they had no room but then Barbara came to my rescue and it works brilliant, I will wean them of the Hungarian hives hopefully in to top bar because I think there frames are bigger (not actually measured them) omg Barbara a commercial set up, hadn't thought about that, I have a lot of time on my hands and a bit of land so jump at the chance to have more hives.

For got to say he brought his queens from Hungary and has not had any other queens.

Last edited by 1abee on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
1abee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little a shamed to admit it, but I wasted 4 years
I got stung 4 or 5 times and what I when through, I thought was normal.
swell for 6 hours to the minuet
dead on 6 hours the pain kicks in, no pain killer would touch it, drinking your self in to a puddle wouldn't dull it.
the pain was so bad you couldn't even sleep, it felt like the bees were chewing through the cartilage between your joints trying to separate them, this lasted for 6 hours on the dot after that I would not go anywhere near them, I would feed all my animals very early and put them to bed after dark ( the worst thing was, I was to in embarrassed to ask if it was normal lol didn't want to feel like a big cry baby) and that's when the fear really kicked in, got stung 8 weeks back and panic set in lol I was in tear long before the pain was to kick in,
I drank myself in to a puddle, I woke the next morning with a raging head slid down stairs on my bottom to scream to hubby NO PAIN, OMG THERE WAS NO PAIN and that changed everything.
now I cant seem to shake the excitement, I just want to be with them and it is such a good feeling I hope it last forever.

sorry for waffling on, I am just so happy x
MikeRobinson
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that if you experienced "swelling and pain for six hours," you might be developing some kind of allergic reaction and you might wish to chat with a doctor about it. (Yes, getting hit "four or five times" does trigger more of a reaction.)

Remove the stinger as promptly as you can. Over-the-counter like Benadryl can be helpful. Alcohol, however, isn't.

I don't use a smoker. I have a spray-bottle with water and peppermint oil. If I get stung, the first thing that I do is to zap that spot with the spray, even before scraping-out the stinger. Bees that have stung release a pheromone that attracts other bees, and the spray blocks that. (Lightly spritzing the bees, so that they say, 'Hey, I'm wet!', also distracts them.)
1abee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
12 hours in total with each sting 6 hours swelling after the pain would kick in, this was with the first 4 or 5 stings which happened over a year not all at once and only if near a joint (fingers jaw, knees and on my ankle) this was when I was starting out, so I avoided them for a few years
I got stung a few week ago and YAY very little swelling and no pain but what surprised me was to find I had been stung 7 times but only felt the one that got me on the neck, ouch, I just wish I had asked if it was normal, in hindsight I glad I didn't because I would have thought the reaction was for life.
now I am over the moon that I can enjoy the bees without the fear of that pain, I will have to get a spray bottle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: