Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
The Small Hive Project - JOIN US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smallhiveproject
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: The Small Hive Project - JOIN US Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I am a French Warré hobbyist beekeeper and author of the Small Hive Project (smallhiveproject.eu)
This non-commercial project is about a small horizontal hive that I designed for backyard beekeeping.
Starting from spring 2018, I will populate 4 copies of this hive and share my experience on the website.

You may wish to participate in the project by building your own copy of hive.
To do this, you may build it from scratch OR transform one of your Warré hives.
Independent experimental data is necessary to evaluate the real potential of the hive design.

All necessary information is available on the project website.
New content will be added over the course of the project.
Stay tuned by subscrbing to the Newsletter on smallhiveproject.eu.

The Hive has been designed to meet the following requirements:
- favor bee colony survival in low-input beekeeping situations (no Varroa treatment, no sugar feeding).
- adapted to rather small bee colonies of Apis Mellifera in environments dominated by agriculture (moderate nectar flow).
- suitable for comb honey production (Low productivity is acceptable, as long as sufficient for personal use.) easy to build and to manage.

Hive plans and more information are available on smallhiveproject.eu.

Feel free to comment the project.

Thank you!
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. I have subscribed to the email list. I know Barbara on this forum has at least one long lived colony in a TBH of about this size.

My "Japanese" hives are free comb based and based on 25cm x 25cm interior dimensions, but are vertical rather than horizontal. One of them kept falling over because it was on a slope so I reduced its height to what I think is a theoretical volume of about 36l, but the bottom most segment is open to the ground so the practical volume must only be around 33l.

Phil has also produced his quadrilateral hives, which I thought were really intended for queen rearing but could be put to a similar use.

I think there's a lot to be said for early swarming, smaller colonies, at least as part of part of an apiary or a more extensive beekeeping area.

My guess is that your hives will survive just fine if left to themselves, but I am wondering if they should be a little bigger if you plan to harvest anything. Barbara has said that she does not harvest from her hive of this size.

Adam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - The Small Hive Project - JOIN US - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum