Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Incoming Swarm !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Incoming Swarm !!! Reply with quote

You could feel the electricity!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2CcWR6BDc

Adriaan
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations with the new arrival Patrick,

and thank you.

It surely warms my heart to see this video on this cold, wet and windy sunday morning in central-Belgium.

Out here we will have to wait at least untill early may for the first swarms to emerge.
Last year the first swarm in my apiary came out of one of my skeps on may 5th.
Most of the swarming however will take place at the end of may and in june.

Keep the video's coming
friendly greetings
Adriaan
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriaan, thanks for taking the time to watch my video and commenting in a positive manner.

By the way, do you have any photographs of your skeps? Please post them on this thread if you do. I would love to see them.

Patrick

Adriaan wrote:
Congratulations with the new arrival Patrick,

and thank you.

It surely warms my heart to see this video on this cold, wet and windy sunday morning in central-Belgium.

Out here we will have to wait at least untill early may for the first swarms to emerge.
Last year the first swarm in my apiary came out of one of my skeps on may 5th.
Most of the swarming however will take place at the end of may and in june.

Keep the video's coming
friendly greetings
Adriaan
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update on the swarm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj18wt_JeVM

Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, thanks so much for posting these. It is great to get a bee fix whilst ours are still tucked up. My eyesight must be getting poor as I failed to see the queen in the hive. I'm guessing you didn't see her in real time but spotted her whilst you were editing footage.

I would imagine that swarm came from one of your hives. Did you identify the parent colony and did you take steps to prevent further cast swarms or do you let nature take it's course like me. If so, do your neighbours not get concerned about your hives swarming? I'm in a more rural setting so it is less of an issue. Just curious how other people handle these situations.
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Barbara.

Thanks so much for watching the video and commenting about the bees. It's always good to hear from you. Smile

Regarding the queen, yes I saw her when I was at eating the video. She makes a brief appearance and you have to be quick to see her. She sticks out as bigger and brighter than the others over towards the right when the camera goes into the hive.

I really have no idea where this swarm came from. I can't prove one way or another if they are from my hives or from somewhere else in the neighborhood.

There haven't really been any instances of bees infringing on my neighbors too much. I usually keep a really good handle on my bees to where they aren't over-running the neighborhood, LOL. Besides, I give them honey.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think I see her now. Your queens are so different to my dark queens, there is no way you would be able to spot one of mine like that.
Good to hear that you have not experienced problems with your neighbours and the bees. I just wondered about it since your house construction over there clearly lends itself to bee colonisation from the number of cut outs that you do and having that many colonies in a residential area, there are bound to be stray swarms that take off even if you manage to prevent the majority of swarms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - Incoming Swarm !!! - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum