Friends of the Bees

Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Thinking thru National Deep Nuc into Rose OSB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam B
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Thinking thru National Deep Nuc into Rose OSB Reply with quote

I'm still looking at hives and thinking through my alternatives.

I'm in a location where pretty much everyone in the local beekeeping association is using Nationals with deep 14x12 brood boxes.

Personally, I'm torn between a hTBH and buying Rose OSB; with a small thought about just buying a National hive to be compatible while I learn.

The current thought process I'm going through is "what to do with the nuc"?

The bees I get will probably be on a nuc. There is a small chance I'll get a swarm from one of the local association members, but this is unlikely. I'll either get a split from an association hive or a farmed nuc and these will be in a 14x12 compatible frames.

I have an idea about how I'd deal with moving these into a hTBH
https://kootenaybeenews.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/langnuc-into-tbh.pdf

But:

What would the suggestion be for installing a Deep National Frame into a Rose OSB?

The only thing I can think of is build a spacer (is this what Ekes are??) and eventually cycle out the box with the deep brood frames.
imago
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have two 5 frames nucs in dadant hives that I plan to move into htbh.

What I do usually (yes, I did it many years, for warré and hktbh) is :
- during a sunny day when most foragers are out
- smoke the hive and wait a bit, let the bee take as much honey as possible
- shake all frames into a larger box, check the source hive is empty
- put back the frames (check again the queen is not there)
- you can then drop your bees into a new hive, I often keep them 1-3 days in the cellar, this is recommended if the old and new hive will be in the same location
- feed a lot if you don't have built combs

After 30 days the original hive will have a new queen, check the brood (there will be only larvaes), you can shake again. For the records, I did it last year but late in the season, so I decided to not shake a second time and winter the bees for this year.

This method looks a bit brutal, but in my experience the bees keep calm if you do it quickly.

Here is the process : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzCIWhndEsY (I once tried to make a video of myself, but I had trouble to start the smoker and the camera turned off just after I started the real transfer).

This is one "easy" solution that only require a larger box and that can be used to create an artificial swarm but I've looked at the link you provided and it looks very interesting, although technically more complex.
imago
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my new hive according to the suggestions before.

I'll move 6 full Dadant frames tomorrow. If I spot the queen I'll try to catch her and let her in the top bar part with the queen excluder.
If not, I'll simply check the next days, I've added some built bars and hope the queen will quickly move there to lay eggs.

I'm just afraid that the bees will eventually move to the top bar area and use the dadant area to store honey as soon as the top bar area is filled (the hive is not hyper large, only 24 bars). I'll have to check it often and remove some bars to start new nucs to avoid swarming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: