Friends of the Bees

Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
First timer!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chameau
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: First timer! Reply with quote

Hello. A follow up post from my introduction post. I mentioned I have made a tbh and collected a colony to put in it. Seemimgly all went well with the collection. I wasn't able to locate the queen when taking the bees but I believe that she must be present as I managed to get the vast majority of the colony. The colony now rests outside my workshop and I watch the bees flying every day. I was told that if the bees are bringing in pollen then all is well. The bees started bringing in pollen about a week after installing them. Now however, after about three weeks there is no pollen being collected. I had a sneaky peek last week and I believe I have given them too much room as the comb is not being built on the top bars (wax groove) but on the walls of the hive. I will leave well well alone and keep watching for pollen. Any thoughts on the status of the queen?. It will be difficult to inspect the comb for the queen and eggs until it is attached to the bars. Learning all the way!!.
Any thoughts ?
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

Sadly waxed grooves are not the most reliable form of comb guide and most people use a triangular profile wood guide, rubbed with bees wax under the bars. Even then it is not infallible and keeping the cluster in a small volume where the length of the bars is longer than the number of bars available to them, helps to encourage them to form comb along the bars. If they are building on one wall, it usually suggests that they are a cast swarm with a virgin queen and that ties in with the timescale of pollen forage occurring after a week or so. The lack of pollen now may be due to the time of day you are observing them, the weather or that they have filled all the existing comb with brood and have no more space to store it or use it until the current brood which should now be pupating (and therefore not require pollen|) hatches and new brood is laid into the vacated cells. I sometimes find that they will forage for pollen in the morning when it is cooler and nectar in the afternoon when the temperatures are higher and nectar more freely available, but if your climate is hotter, they may forage for nectar in the morning when dew provides moisture for the plants and pollen later when it gets hot and dry and the nectar supply dries up a bit.

You might want to research "rescue bars" which are top bars with chicken wire attached to them. The chicken wire is formed so that the spikes of the cut edges are bent through 90 degrees to be horizontal below the top bars and the comb that is cut off is then gently impaled onto the spikes to suspend it below the top bar and the bees will eventually build comb to secure it to the underside of the top bar. I would not attempt this until the comb has had several generations of brood in it as the cocoons of that brood help to stabilise it and without that, it is very easily squashed and broken by handling, especially when it is heavy with brood and nectar. Probably best to leave it until next spring to do the job, but limit the space they have now to prevent them expanding it too far in the wrong direction.
Chameau
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I will reduce their living area a bit and leave well alone as they seem to know what they are doing. I wish I had put in an observation window so I could monitor more frequently without disturbing them. I will have another peak on Sunday to reduce area and swap any unused bars for triangular type. After that it is down to them I think!.
BuffBum
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the type of rescue bars Barbara is talking about but before the comb is in place and the mesh ends bent and then gently squeezed closer to grasp the comb.
The bees will quickly do their own repairs to attach to the top bar permanently.

[img][/img]

Cool
Chameau
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Diagonal comb !! Reply with quote

About a month after housing the swarm I popped the lid for the second time yesterday. From the outside all seems ok, pollen coming in etc.
I was aware from the last inspection that they had decided to build their comb across the bars, see above posts. Problem yesterday was as I lifted the first top bar to have a look the comb which was full of honey detached itself from the bar I lifted and the two adjacent bars causing it to fall to the hive floor. I didn't have with me a rescue top bar as pictured above, so for the moment I have left alone. Should I dive back into the hive again to rescue the comb?. i am cautious as the temperatures today will be in the high 30s and the new wax is very soft. I don't want to do more damage. Should I leave alone for the moment and let them sort out my mess?. I will need to rescue all the comb at some stage but I was thinking of next spring for that.
Your thoughts please.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you had some comb collapse... it happens and probably a good idea to have rescue bars to hand when you do an inspection. That said, I think you will struggle to reattach them in those temperatures with the comb being so young and full of heavy, sticky stuff.
If you are able, propping them up inside the hive as vertically as possible on the hive floor by leaning against the hive wall would perhaps enable any brood in it to be raised until it is hatched and the honey salvaged. Then in a few weeks when hopefully those combs are empty, you will be able to cut them out (the bees will attach them to the hive wall and each other) and re-hang them using rescue bars and the bees will be able to reutilise them. Keeping them as straight as possible in the meantime and in the correct orientation ie vertical and up the right way will be beneficial if you can achieve it, rather than leaving them in a sticky pile on the hive floor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: