friends of the bees

This forum is funded by
Friends of the Bees.
It is free to everyone, and we would appreciate a donation from those who can afford it so we can keep it free for those who cannot.

UK beekeepers join now and benefit from £5M Public Liability Insurance FREE with membership. JOIN HERE

Natural Beekeeping Forum
low-cost, low-impact, sustainable beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

BOOK NOW
B=beginners I=intermediate A=advanced E=event more

INTERNATIONAL
* The Bee-Friendly Zone
* Natural Beekeeping online course
* UK, USA and CA Swarm Catchers

UK
* UK Natural beekeeping courses
* UK Natural beekeeping events
* UK Plants database
* UK DEFRA advisory info

FREE HIVE PLANS
* Phil Chandler - hTBH
* John Vendy - hTBH
* Warre hive plans

Share |
natural beekeeping forum rss feedRSS

Follow forum on Twitter

Join the BeeAlert email list for advance notice of events, courses, etc.
Barrel Top Bar Hive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Barrel Top Bar Hive? Reply with quote

Well I found this link http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/barrel-top-bar-hive/ and found it very interesting. You could even use wine barrels I would think. Wooden wine barrels would have less of a temperature issue. What do you guys think of this? I might even consider giving this a try!
Something else pretty similar...http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/birkey/index.htm
GarlyDog
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Barrel Top Bar Hive? Reply with quote

Neat.

I think a wooden wine barrel would fall apart as soon as you cut it in half. But glue would solve that issue.

I thought the builders top bar frames were interesting. I'm not sure about the wire guides, but I like the bent wood idea.

In total, it look like a lot of extra work, but it might be fun to try anyway.

Thanks for the post.

This message was crafted using 99% post consumer electrons.

http://www.HiveCam.com
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm yea. I would love to try this but I would rather not use the plastic barrel... and the bent wood hive does seem too much work.
SamG347
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm what about just putting some 5 gallon buckets together....say 2-3....then cutting out the upper half of the buckets......I want to try this sometime in the future.
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thats a pretty good idea with the buckets! but the plastic is usually to brittle to cut through so i think it would just crack, right?
il volpe
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience, those buckets will crack if you try to cut them with snips, but if you cut them with a saw it works okay except you must go very slowly or you'll heat it up with friction and it will melt on your saw-blade and gum it up, and then you will burn your fingers when you thoughtlessly attempt to ungum it while it's still hot. I was sort of amazed, since I was using a hand-saw.

I think the best barrels would be those heavy cardboard ones. Slightly better insulation, and the bees won't hate them so. They hate plastic.
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardboard barrels? thats a pretty good idea, but they would have to be water-proofed really well. Yea i would rather not use plastic. I just had an idea... what about those wooden troughs that farm animals eat out of? I'm not too sure about the dimensions, but they may be too big... just brainstorming.
Walk
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who made a plastic barrel TBH. The bees absconded - she thought it was because the white plastic wasn't entirely opaque and let in a faint glow of light. Also, it didn't breathe. You could use the plastic as a form for cob (straw/clay) construction. Intact barrels work great for rain barrels for garden watering, so it would seem a shame to cut them up for forms. If you had one the right size, you could work cob over the outside of the barrel without sacrificing its water holding potential.
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really getting interested with these catenary hives, especially with the cardboard. Obviously cardboard cannot be waterproofed 100% but I could cover it with some linseed/ wax, and stick it under my shed, which has one side completely open. This way there won't be any water directly on the hive. Now, Its just a matter of choosing which size barrel to get. A family member of mine has a business that uses cardboard fiber barrels, so I could probably grab some from them for free to try this out. Very Happy Oh boy, I'm getting a tad bit excited now. Laughing Now before I jump into this does anyone have any opinions on why this may not work? Or anything?
Thanks for your patience with me, Rolling Eyes
Silentbuzz
il volpe
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to keep one of those cardboard drums with the steel lid and bottom, out on the concrete front step. No roof over it, though it was against the outer walls on two sides. It was there for a couple years before it started to peel up 'round the bottom and I put a coat of exterior house-paint on it.

Of course, your milage will vary because I live in a dry climate, but I bet a cardboard-barrel-TBH on legs with a roof that had a considerable overhang would last suprisingly well with no coating at all. That dense cardboard fiber stuff doesn't act like a cardboard box.

You could design the roof and legs in such a way that when the drum started to swell and peel you'd just fix up another drum with the inner supports for top-bars, bolt the new drum to the legs and move everything else, combs, follower and roof, into the new drum. With a free source of drums, hey.

Disadvantages:

A half-drum on its side has got a bottom. But if you wanted the mesh-floor or no-floor of the classic KTBH you could cut a wideish gap in the drum and run a couple of bolts through on either side of the gap to attach another peice of drum with wing-nuts for the winter.

It's light. The wind will knock it over. In your shed, no problem. Out in the open you'd want to make the legs with little ring-feet so you could stake it to the ground.

Other than that, I see no problems. I bet the bees would like it and it would breathe just right for them. A basic design for one might be a nice boon for urbanish beekeepers in developing nations, too, as used drums can be salvaged from shipping ports and converting one into a couple of hives wouldn't require a lot of straight boards.
BBees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilentBuzz,

I think it's definitely worth a try!

You're probably a better judge of how well the cut cardboard edge will hold up after a number of inspections, but maybe attaching a length of 1"x2" along the cut edges for the top bars to perch on will help with the hives longevity. Just thinking out loud.

Good luck and keep us posted!
SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea! I will do that! I'm just in the process of convincing my father that we need another unique TBH. Should be easy hehe. But for now I'm trying to help my bees over winter better... so I actually have bees in the spring. Shocked Laughing
chaindrivecharlie
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use straight bees wax inside and out on the cardboard barrel. It will need good water proofing for rain and condensation. You will have to make one end out of plywood or something as strong. Should be an easy prodject, just needs a little tweaking.

Florida Cracker
http://chaindrivecharlie.blogspot.com
http://www.Bikers4Christ.com  
http://www.fireproofyourmarriage.com

SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaindrivecharlie wrote:
I would use straight bees wax inside and out on the cardboard barrel. It will need good water proofing for rain and condensation. You will have to make one end out of plywood or something as strong. Should be an easy prodject, just needs a little tweaking.

Well straight bees wax it is! Smile I just need to get my hands on some... I do have a bit from by hives... but not enough. And thank you for reminding me about the side! I totally forgot about that! lol Rolling Eyes
Silentbuzz
il volpe
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd definately need the wooden bars along the cut edge to support the top bars and to keep it from going all cattywumpus. It'd need two wooden ends if it's the kind of barrel that has metal ones, but maybe wouldn't need anything but another wooden bar on each end if it's the kind that has a cardboard-fiber bottom and lid.

Coating with beeswax'd be fun. Or, as some people do with wooden hive bodies, a combonation of melted beeswax and linseed oil painted on hot. But I still think it might hold up just fine if left alone, or at least would do here in Colorado. Be worth experimenting.
BBees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having handled bees wax before (heck don't even have a bee yet), how is the best way to apply it to a surface like cardboard or wood?
chaindrivecharlie
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees wax melts at 140 degrees f. brush on cardboard. You can use a double boiler for melting wax. If you are going to coat wood. Use a linseed oil and wax mix heated in a double boiler. Look into FAQ's on the exact mix ratio. You can buy a used double boiler cheap at a resale store.

Florida Cracker
http://chaindrivecharlie.blogspot.com
http://www.Bikers4Christ.com  
http://www.fireproofyourmarriage.com

SilentBuzz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you chaindrivecharlie, I was just wondering that myself.
ilVolpe- Why don't you try making one of these? Looking around the forums, it seems that you've recommended using the cardboard fiber barrels more than once. I think I'm going to wax the hive to make it last a bit longer.
BBees

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks from me too!
il volpe
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should see if I have such a drum around still. May as well, if I do, but I think they've all got holes bashed in them from being thrown out of a barn-loft. It looks as if they're a little expensive to buy new in small numbers, at least compared to the salvage boards I've already got. I'm certainly keen, though, I think they'd be a better TBH than the \_/ shaped ones.

I haven't tried it but I've heard a 'Crock Pot' cooker thing is good for heating wax, and nice because it plugs into the wall so you can do your waxing in the garage instead of the frog. I see those at the second-hand shop more often than I see double-boilers. You want one just for the purpose, or so I'm told, because it's nearly impossible to get the wax off the inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: